Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Spreading Cheese



Throughout most of the night the roaring wind kept yanking my unsecured courtyard door open to the pounding rain. Exhausted at 3am, I finally rigged a “lock” with some wire I sleepily found in a box. I went back to bed to wake only twenty minutes later to the sound of water dripping onto my mattress from my closed window at an angle I had never seen. The next morning I was planning on starting my 10-day trip down south and it didn’t appear things were off to a good start for travel.

I did make it all the way down to fellow SBD PCV, Jae’s site the next day, despite encountering fresh snow in the mountains on a long bus ride. Jae and I were co-leading a cheese making workshop. All attendees were volunteers, either with Peace Corps or with the Japanese organization, JICA. I lead the first two days with five different types of cheese: yogurt (and yogurt cheese), Neufchatel (a.k.a. farmer’s cheese), Feta, Gouda, and Ricotta. Jae lead a third day with Pepper-Jack and cheese curds. The cheese curds didn’t cooperate with us (sometimes cheese can be finicky), but the Pepper-Jack looks great. Unfortunately, we won’t be able to taste it for a month—same with the Gouda. We did get a chance to try the three fresh cheeses in various ways including in sushi rolls, muffins, crepes, and just straight up with cut veggies. Yum!



Next, I headed over to another SBD PCV, Terra’s, site in the valley of roses. No roses yet, but this river-fed oasis was still looking lush in February. My visit was to help with a catalogue Terra wants to have made for her women’s products (primarily rugs, but also some farmed items). The difficulty in finding reliable transportation, electricity, phone service and internet (we had to get into town 30 minutes away and even then it didn’t work), really made me appreciate the conveniences I have in my much larger site. I have learned to be very flexible during my service, and I was tested considerably during these workshops. For our big meeting with the association’s women, our translator was 2.5 hours late (not all of that was the meeting-time, we wanted to have him come in early so we could review what we wanted to discuss. Originally we planned on meeting the day before to go over the workshop with him but our transportation out was slow and he had another meeting to attend. Flexibility!). We just switched some things around and had the women participate in the more visual part of the meeting (learning how to take photos of their products, reviewing the photos we had already gathered, etc.).

The women seemed excited about the catalogue and we did get their feedback on how it should be put together and how it can be used. I was concerned about my interaction with the women considering I have learned Moroccan-Arabic, darija, to speak in my site whereas they normally converse in Tashilhit. I found enough darija speakers that could help translate for me when needed. It also helped that my darija isn’t so complex that even if they have a basic knowledge of darija I could be somewhat understood.

One of my favorite moments was when Terra and I were sitting in the kitchen of her neighbors watching them cook dinner. One of the younger girls, Hafida, knows a good about of darija and so Terra and I could both talk with her. When Terra would converse with them in Tashilhit I was a bit lost most of the time. Hafida helped me out by translating what Terra said into darija. I was tickled by the passing of speech through one American’s mind, through Tashilhit, to darija and back into another American’s mind. Later, one of the woman commented that Terra and I should learn each other’s languages so we could communicate (momentarily forgetting that we both share the same language, English).



Despite the difficulties of a more rural life, I really appreciated the closeness to nature there. The families have houses all grouped together and their farming plots are all uphill of the river. I was treated to dandelion greens with corn couscous, and alfalfa with corn couscous. Something we don’t make up here in the north. I also managed to bake two huge cakes to share with the families that provided me dinner during my stay.

After our meeting in Terra’s site we turned around and went to (SBD PCV) Sarah’s site in the next valley over. She is living with a family there and I was once again treated to some great food and company. Sarah’s village is similar to Terra’s in that they are both centered around a river that feeds the farm plots in an otherwise dry place. There is much more evidence of tourism, however, with small hotels lining the main roadway.



This second cheese making workshop was primarily for the local community and I was without an official translator so I had to hope that my darija would be understood by a Tashilhit-speaking group of women. My fears were assuaged by the translation happening through those who understood darija for the other women when needed. I ended up having more trouble with the cheese this time and we couldn’t quite figure out what happened. Everything was taking a long time to set. We changed many of the variables around without success. We’ve narrowed it down to temperature or altitude. Despite our delays, I think the women still enjoyed the workshop—and we all devoured the cheese at the end! A couple of the women seemed to really be into the process and I am confident that they will clear up whatever issue that we were having with their future attempts. Some have access to fresh milk from their own cows, so cheese making might be a great opportunity for them.



Overall I found my trip down south to be successful. The foreboding weather at the start of my trip gave way to calmer skies during my entire trip. All my hosts were wonderful and I got to know better my fellow PCVs as well as the Moroccans I encountered. It is too bad that a hard days journey lies between us!

44 comments:

Loda said...

wow, that is so cool that you not only get to work in your own site, but get to travel to other sites and learn from them as well as teach them workshops! Do you think you'll be able o pick up the other dialect before you're all said and done? Are they very similar?

Lisa said...

Laura- yes, I am definitely loving this aspect of the job! As for the language--it isn't so much another dialect from arabic as it is a whole other language. It is the language that was spoken in this side of the continent before the arabs came in with their language and culture (and religion). There is definitely a lot of arabic that has entered into Tashilhit, just as French and Tashilhit have entered into darija.

I don't have any plans to seriously study Tashilhit as I've got an over-abundance of other ways to use my time. However, I like expanding my vocabulary once in a while, and I know that even inserting a little Tashilhit or, appropriately for my area, Tamazight, into conversation is appreciated.

春天來嚕 said...

大奶妹貼圖區0204性影片觀賞露點自拍淫婦女生如何自慰色情站成人笑話av激情網愛視訊美女淫蕩av成人色情電話辣妹視訊聊天性關係情色vcd自慰圖淫美成人論壇台灣色情論壇成人聊天室自拍裸女貼圖視訊成人免費a片影片av成人網成人色情色情台灣辣妹小穴太太陰毛色情訊息裸女自拍色情影片a片論壇性愛技巧美女脫胸罩情色天堂av寫真色情視訊聊天做愛視訊成人影片床上戲情色聊天網火辣情色台灣女優性愛秘笈台灣av女優手淫自慰影片

哲宇 said...

色情qvod色情視訊電話色情美眉寫真色情片免色情區咪咪情色區哈比成人網金瓶成人影片交流區金平梅近親相姦免費影片松島楓看波波貼圖區波波線上美女拳波波線上遊網波波線上戲網波霸美女貼圖區玩女人視訊網玩女人試看片玩女人影片直播色情片直播免費影片芭比成人情色花王影片哈比淫色網哈免費小遊戲洪爺色情免費影片洪爺色情網站影片洪爺色論壇洪爺免費直播片洪爺動畫色咪咪影片網一夜情聊天室聊天室正妹牆

雅琳雅琳 said...

It's great!!..........................................

NicolaSigel0508 said...

鬼故事~美人劫
美人劫-下
美人劫-中
美人劫-上

握壽司Stanley said...

cool!i love it!AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,性愛,情色,日本a片,美女,成人圖片區

RexTemples20144 said...

It's great!!.............................................

素育如劭 said...

彰化聊天室二聊天勢苗栗聊天室ut中部人聊天聊天尋夢亞洲無碼成人影片亞洲無碼影片區亞洲短片 亞洲長片亞洲短片亞洲長片亞洲貼圖站亞洲電影瘋情網亞洲瘋情網下載亞洲瘋情影城亞洲歐美影片亞洲免費線上a片亞洲免費電影亞洲免費情色影片男同自男同志gay圖片男同志gay網男色情片男免費聊天亞色情網亞亞光碟網亞亞成人網免費影片亞亞成人影片亞洲go2免費影片亞洲成人線上看亞洲色圖亞洲免費色情片無碼美女視訊免費桌布下載成人文章成人圖片

IrmaOrbison said...

很喜歡你的blog哦...加油唷 ........................................

嘉宏 said...

量力而為,別勉強了,Cut your coat according to your cloth..............................................

Amanda Monteiro said...

http://elpalpite.blogspot.com

VincenzoJ詩婷 said...

All roads lead to Rome. 堅持自己所選!.............................................

育如育如 said...

雖然說上班很累,不過還是得努力應付每一天,看看文章休息一下,謝謝你哦!........................................

熙辰 said...

好喜歡你的部落格唷,剛下班,要去睡了!!!掰~~..................................................

ElisaCe慈佐lestin0708 said...

聰明的人喜歡猜心 雖然每次都猜對了卻失去了自己的心..................................................

josema said...

這麼好的部落格,以後看不到怎麼辦啊!!!........................................

政倫政倫 said...

想像是什麼並不重要,想像能做什麼才重要......................................................................

劉淑芬 said...

生活很多細節都要小心點,請多保重 .................................................................

黃允妏 said...

Poverty is stranger to industry.....................................................................

江婷 said...

知識可以傳授,智慧卻不行。每個人必須成為他自己。.................................................................

義珊義珊 said...

成熟,就是有能力適應生活中的模糊。.................................................................

戴昀德 said...

人生是故事的創造與遺忘。............................................................

陳智強 said...

要照顧身體歐~保重..................................................................

珮陽 said...

我真心在追求我的夢想時,每一天都是繽紛的。因為我知道每一個小時都是實現理想 的一部份。..................................................

吳婷婷 said...

A bird in hand is worth two in the bush. ..................................................................

楊儀卉 said...

Poverty tries friends.............................................................

dawsonfelicia張君dawsonfelicia均 said...

人生最可憐的是半途而廢,最可悲的是喪失信心,最遺憾的是浪費時間,最可怕的是沒有恆心。..................................................

彥安 said...

最美好的東西是看不到、摸不到的,但可以用心感覺。.......................................................

蔡靜芳蔡靜芳 said...

好東西要和好朋友分享--感謝您............................................................

黃黃莉茹曉元 said...

缺少智慧,就是缺少一切..................................................

偉林少菁林誠 said...

人不能像動物一樣活著,而應該追求知識和美德............................................................

陳林美純易南 said...

與人相處不妨多用眼睛說話,多用嘴巴思考. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

家唐銘 said...

人們不缺少力量,他們缺少意志。..................................................

吳沛黃以富民 said...

憂能傷身,保重哦!............................................................

麗王王珠 said...

大肚能容,了卻人間多少事,滿腔歡喜,笑開天下古今愁。..................................................

佳陳容 said...

happy to read~ thank you!............................................................

惠桂刁惠桂刁惠桂刁 said...

要保持更新呦,加油!!!期待你的新文章!!!............................................................

翊翊翊翊張瑜翊翊翊 said...

No pains, no gains..................................................................

said...

心中醒,口中說,紙上作,不從身上習過,皆無用也。..................................................

said...

缺少智慧,就是缺少一切..................................................

阿袁袁袁袁華 said...

嘿,你的部落格不錯哦!............................................................

佳張張張張燕張張張張張 said...

喜歡你的部落格,留言請您繼續加油............................................................

SadeRa盈君iford0412 said...

人生匆匆-把握當下,支持鼓勵~事事如意~..................................................