Thursday, September 11, 2008

Hello PST

Our time quickly comes to a close in the big city. I'm starting to sense the stress to come in the next few months. I've had some of my shots (not so bad), and a lot of introductions. However, I also still feel that this will be a great challenge that I am ready to take on. I'm excited to really start the language training and the home-stay with a Moroccan family.

Right now it looks like it may be best for me to focus my energy on being present and spending an enormous amount of my time trying to absorb the language and culture. This may mean sporadic blog updates, and there might be times when you don't hear from me for a while. Don't worry about me! Also, don't stop emailing or commenting, I will try, at the very minimum spend time online, once a week, if not more. I do plan on keeping you all posted here, but things may be infrequent until I get settled at my site November-January/February.

Right now, there is another beautiful sunset here, followed by a call to prayer and breaking of the fast. I think this may turn out to be a good metaphor for how things have gone here so far, and how I am likely not to get such a nice break in the coming months. Whatever it may be, bring it on!

P.S. Playing cards is a great way to practice saying your numbers in a foreign language, and contains a significant amount of fun.

4 comments:

Marcella said...

I'm so excited for you. Find any good pastries yet?

Lisa said...

marcella-
The hotel food was disappointing, and I think, not characteristic of the rest of Morocco. I think they were catering to the European tourists who frequent there.
The food I had today was much improved. I'm still on the look out for good french pastries!

Sarah said...

Maybe you should put some money down on those cards -- I'll find a way for you to see Spain while you are there :)
Glad you made it to Morocco. Can't wait to hear about all your adventures. You're in our thoughts and prayers.

Lisa said...

sarah- I think I will do anything to try to see Spain while I'm here. Don't worry, I'll make it! You'd better meet me there!